The Los Angeles Powerboat Academy offers U.S. Powerboating Certifications.

Los Angeles Powerboat Academy is a US Powerboat Certification course provider for larger twin-inboard motor yachts. We offer several USPB courses, so you can pilot and charter boats without a licensed captain.

We offer the following USPB courses:


Basic Powerboat Cruising

This “on-the-water” powerboat-handling course teaches the responsible operation of a powerboat in daylight within sight of land through theory and hands-on instruction of a twin-screw powerboat. Build your knowledge and practical skills for safe and effective boat handling in light to moderate wind and sea conditions.


Night Operations Endorsement

After basic powerboat certification, the next step in seamanship training is to learn to responsibly operate a powerboat at night (in sight of land). This “on-the-water” course will train you how to safely navigate a cruising powerboat at night.


Inshore Powerboat Cruising

Advance your skills even more and cruise the world with ease by taking the Inshore Powerboat Cruising class. This “on-the-water” course focuses on the responsible operation of a cruising powerboat for multiple days in unfamiliar waters in sight of land.

International Proficiency Certification

Once you complete your courses, you are eligible to obtain the US Powerboating International Proficiency Certificate©. This international certification is designed specifically for the EU, and allows boaters to charter boats without a captain in international waters. In order to obtain an International Proficiency Certificate©, applicants must have completed the Basic, Night Ops and Inshore certifications. 

Note that local independent charter operators in the EU and beyond may accept the US Powerboating log books as evidence of your competency even without the additional International Proficiency Certificate. We recommend that you contact the charter operator to confirm the credentials they require to rent boats.

Ready to Get Started?


California Boater Card

On January 1, 2018, California began implementing a new law that boaters are required to carry a vessel operator card while operating a recreational motorized vessel on California waterways, known as the  California Boater Card.

What Is The California Boater Card?

The California Boater Card shows that its holder has successfully taken and passed a NASBLA/state-approved boater safety education examination. In 2018, the California Boater Card program will be phased-in by age for operators of motorized boats on state waterways.

Boaters have the option of taking online courses to obtain their boaters card, however these online courses do not provide the “hands-on” instruction required to teach boaters the national skill-based standards on how to safely operate motor vessels.

How To Obtain The California Boater Card

Note that the US Powerboating certificate does not take the place of the California Boater Card. Boaters are required to submit their US Powerboating certificate to the Department of Boating and Waterways to obtain their California Boater Card. After successful completion of your US Powerboat course, apply for the California Boater Card following this link:

For more information, visit

Additional information – “California law states that NO person under 16 years of age may operate a boat with a motor of more than 15 horsepower, except for a sailboat that does not exceed 30 feet in length or a dinghy used directly between a moored boat and the shore (or between two moored boats). The California law allows children 12-15 years of age to operate boats with a motor of more than 15 horsepower or sailboats over 30 feet if supervised on board by an adult at least 18 years of age. Violating these provisions constitutes an infraction.”